Swagbucks

Search & Win

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Change is Hard

We have only a few days left in the 2012-2013 school year. For us this marks more than a change in grade and teachers these will be the last few days that we can call ourselves Discovery Dragons.

They have been building a new school near our home, they are only a month away from completion and, with the new school boundaries we will be attending the new school with a new principal, new teachers and even some new students.


My children have mixed feeling about the change. They are excited to be going to a brand new building but are sad to be leaving behind the familiarity they have with Discovery.

Yesterday my 9 year old had a rough day. He was being really mean to his brothers so I pulled him aside for a talk, to see if I could get to the bottom of his "attitude." As soon as I asked him what was wrong he melted into a puddle of tears and stifled sobs. After stripping away a few layers it seemed that one of the main causes for his distress was the upcoming changes that accompany the move to a new school.

Tate has had a hard time making friends, he's not as outgoing, socially, as his younger brother(s) and has finally made a couple of good friends this year. Both of the boys that are his "best friends" will be staying at Discovery. Tate is afraid that he won't be able to make any friends at the new school.

My heart just breaks for him. All of my boys are unique individuals with their own quirks I can see why it might be difficult for them to make friends, but at the same time I feel helpless to remedy the situation.
 
I too am having a hard time with this change. I get a little choked up whenever I think of leaving the principal and teachers who have helped, taught and loved my children.

Although change is a hard thing, for every one, I am ready for a new adventure. I am praying for the best in the coming school year for my children. I want them to be happy, I want them to feel accepted and I want them to have FRIENDS!
Tate playing dress-up he's supposed to be "Dark Link." https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgOfn5peiRMwoxgH7DjmtrYaBC_NtBTfboY-1HLB0iwigLvr-0V8WWP7ZWTM3GILYt0K6S-SVcgTlhI2YWiRgmcxwOjxtRMyspxxs1Ep7cNwsNGw1YsKWM34E-WfaPQPFLDYlP3-dW5Uog/s1600/Darklink.jpg

1 comment:

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

I've been considering similar things, although not to the same extent and not entirely the same reasons. Change is hard. I've had to adapt to it enough in my life that I rather enjoy the idea, but that's me - my kids have little experience, and I vividly remember the difficulty I had with moving/changing schools, etc. I hadn't considered how difficult it was for my mom to watch me struggle in new situations, but now that I am a mother it almost makes me sick to consider how hard that must have been. However hard it was for me, I think it was probably harder for my mom. Which is comforting in a way. :) hahaha Good luck. Nobody mentioned how difficult it would be to witness your child(ren) experience emotional anxiety/pain.